Cooking During COVID-19?
Feed your family with our top 5 foods for healthy teeth!
We’re all spending much more time at home and cooking during isolation. But don’t forget to think about your family’s teeth when making healthy food choices. These are our top foods for strong teeth.
- Cheese, plain milk or sugar-free yoghurt – These dairy foods help protect your tooth enamel by providing the calcium needed to remineralise teeth. Always choose low sugar options.
- Chicken and meat – Chicken and meat contain phosphorus which is an important mineral that helps protect tooth enamel, in combination with calcium.
- Salmon – Salmon is a great source of vitamin D. Vitamin D is important as it allows your body to absorb and use calcium, in turn protecting tooth enamel.
- Crunchy vegetables – Vegetables that contain lots of water and require lots of chewing such as carrots, raw broccoli, raw cauliflower and celery are great for teeth. All of that chewing breaks down plaque and helps freshen your breath.
- Crunchy fruits – Fruits with high water content and crunchy texture are great for stimulating saliva and potentially help remove plaque. Best examples are; Apples, pears and cucumbers.
Did you know?
Saliva contains enzymes that buffer the acids present in food and clean bits of food out of the teeth.
Water helps wash away food debris and maintain saliva levels. Saliva helps against tooth decay because it contains proteins and minerals that counteract enamel eating acids.