What to expect on your first visit to nib Dental Care
On your first visit to an nib Dental Care Centre you will be asked to complete a Medical History Form. This provides staff and your dentist with important information that helps to make informed decisions about your treatment.
You can download the Medical History Form before your first visit. Simply print and fill it out to bring with you to your appointment. Or if it’s easier, arrive 10 minutes early to your appointment and fill it out on the day.
On your first visit the dentist will introduce themselves and enquire about any problems or issues you may have with your teeth.
In most instances the dentist will suggest that it would be beneficial for you to have X-rays so they can establish if there are any problems, not easily visible, with your teeth or gums.
There are three types of X-rays your dentist may suggest:
- Small Dental X-Ray – for individual teeth
- OPG – a full mouth X-ray
- 3D Cone Beam X-Ray – a detailed 3 dimensional X-ray that allows your dentist to detect any problems not able to be identified in other X-rays.
If you are an nib customer attending your no-gap check-up your dentist will provide the following treatment:
- Check-up – check your teeth and gums for any problems
- Scale and clean – remove scale, polish and then apply a fluoride treatment, which will help to reduce the incidence of dental decay
- Discuss further treatment – your dentist will talk to you about any further treatment you may need and provide you with a plan (if treatment is necessary) outlining the proposed treatment and costs. Feel free to ask the dentist any questions you have during your appointment. They’ll be happy to provide the extra information you might need to help you make an informed decision about your treatment.